Thursday, November 6, 2008

Words To The World #2

So it's been an amazing, emotional week -- and it's not even over yet...

Tuesday night, I have no doubt, will go down historically as one of the most celebrated American uprisings of all time. What President-elect Obama pulled off is close to miraculous, almost supernatural. And I've heard oppositionists who actually, seriously, think that "the Big O" (as I like to call him) is the antichrist...

We enchanted and adoring fans of Barack Obama have high expectations. While at a dinner party last night, I discussed this with some friends. And though we agreed that we must all be careful not to set our expectations too high (given the unholy situation which he is inheriting), we still could not bring our expectations too far down, either. Simply put, we have faith. We believe.

Christ or antichrist, the man is assuming some serious responsibility under normal circumstances, and these are anything but normal circumstances. I know that I, for one, am hopeful that he can resolve at least a couple of very huge issues more swiftly than I should probably realistically expect. But after what he has accomplished in such a short time, I also have to say that he has set the bar rather high for himself.

I'm reminded of a line from one of my favorite quotable films -- Tombstone. After a shootout in which Wyatt Earp (played by Kurt Russell) comes through unscathed despite a heavy rain of bullets, one of the posse members approaches Doc Holliday (probably one of the all-time greatest film characters as portrayed by Val Kilmer) and asks where Wyatt is. Doc Holliday's response? "Down by the creek, walking on water."

Soon it will be time for Obama to fulfill the promise and expectations which so ignited the population to such extraordinary and unprecedented action. He may be a few inches or feet above the surface right now, but I'm looking forward with positive anticipation to seeing him get his feet wet.

The Emerald Quill

No comments: