Monday, January 5, 2009

Words To The World #7


Dear Mr. Obama: I’m beginning to wonder if maybe Palin wouldn’t have been so bad. You call this an economic stimulus???

Remember the good ol’ days, when George W. Bush was the president, and his economic stimulus plan gave $600 back to every single taxpayer? Not that it was enough -- the economy under his administration still slipped off the plate. But hey, it was an effort to inject a little money motion into a sluggish economy, and he did it twice. I got $1,200 offa that guy!

Now we have Obama’s “big, new” economic stimulus plan. As a single taxpayer, I’ll be getting… $500?!? Hey, uh, wait… since when do Republicans do more for the little guy than Democrats who have sworn to save the middle class?

Here’s an idea that I heard some economy guys worked out during all that bailout stuff right before the election. Someone figured that for the same $700 billion dollars, every tax paying American could be given something in the neighborhood of $25,000! Now I’m not a math guy, so I can’t check the numbers on this. But if there’s even any half truth to that estimate, I could still be looking at $12,500 -- and you can bet I’d use some of that kind of bread to feed the economy. Me, and a lot of other Americans. (Imagine all of that money going back to taxpayers, significant portions of which would have been used to pay off bills. Would that not have helped the financial industry? Seriously…)

Let’s be realistic. For most Americans today, $500 doesn’t even begin to help. It’s practically an insult. Something that would be helpful might be the approximate amount of running the average household for a month. And you know what? If they can blow $700 billion dollars on a crooked, mismanaged financial industry, they should be expected to be able to do at least that much for the taxpayers whose hard-earned cash they used to do it. It doesn’t have to be $25,000, or even $12,500 -- but it damn sure ought to be more than $500. That’s pathetic.

So Obama’s plan appears to keep the status quo -- we’ve bailed out wealthy corporations, but the individual only gets a few crumbs to shut him up.

I’m still hopeful that it’s not all he has planned to help us out, but now I’m starting to be afraid of getting my hopes too high. Maybe they already were -- I thought I voted for change. I didn’t think that meant getting back pennies on the dollar…

The Emerald Quill

No comments: